I am often asked what my favourite kind of food is and it always feels like a trick question, I love all kinds of food!!!! But, if I am pushed for an answer, I will have to say North African and anything BBQ!
I love spice, those who know me well will know I have a tendency to use coriander and fennel seeds in just about anything if I can! Put it on a grill or slow-cooked and you have one happy girl.
This recipe I found is by What´s Gaby Cooking. The chicken is tender, it is spicy but not hot. Looks great on a platter and served with my flatbread and labneh, you will have one happy crowd around the table.
- • 2 tsp crushed chili flakes
- • 2 tsp ground turmeric
- • 2 tsp coriander seeds, toasted and grounded (optional)
- • 1 cup Greek yogurt, full fat and plain
- • 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- • 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- • 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- • 2 tsp coarse salt
- • 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- • 4 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- • 1 lemon, juiced
- • 1kg boneless skinless chicken cut into 3cm cubes
- • For serving - 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- • For serving – Chopped fresh coriander, mint or rosemary leaves
- Combine the crushed chili flakes, coriander seeds (if using) and turmeric in large bowl and stir in 3 tablespoons of hot water and let it stand for 5 minutes. Add the yogurt, olive oil, red wine vinegar, tomato paste, salt, and black pepper to spice mixture in bowl; whisk to combine. Stir in garlic and lemon juice, then chicken. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Prepare grill over medium-high heat. Thread chicken pieces on skewers, dividing equally. Discard marinade in bowl.
- Sprinkle each skewer with additional salt and pepper.
- Grill chicken until golden brown and cooked through, turning skewers occasionally, more or less 15 minutes. Transfer skewers to platter.
- Serve with chopped herbs and extra lemon wedges
• If you are using bamboo skewer sticks, do not forget to soak them in warm water for at least 20 minutes beforehand.
• Although the minimum marinating time is 1 hour, I prefer to marinate the night before leaving myself plenty of time to make side dishes on the day.
• I served this dish with grilled flatbreads and Balsamic/Pomegranate labneh. You can find the recipes on my website.