I came across the recipe for the first time in “New Classics” by one of my favourite chefs, Marcus Wareing. The flavour combination intrigued me and I have to tell you, it does not disappoint!
The original recipe calls for it to be served with crusty rye bread, but I think any fresh crusty bread will work with this. It is at its best when eaten warm straight from the oven!
- 200g x feta
- 4 Tbsp x runny honey
- 4 x sprigs thyme
- 2 x lavender sprigs, or half a teaspoon of dried lavender
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Cover the feta with 2 pieces of kitchen paper and leave at room temperature for 1 hour to absorb excess moisture.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Remove the kitchen paper from the cheese and place the feta in an ovenproof dish just large enough for it to fit snugly.
- Drizzle the honey on top, then add the thyme and lavender. Season well with salt and pepper and grill for 10 minutes or until golden.
- Remove the cheese from the oven.
- Serve the feta immediately with fresh bread.