On my recent visit to Tallin in Estonia, I sampled an appetizer that made me go back several times for another taste, it was just so delicious! Luckily for me the chef had no problem sharing the recipe and the best thing of all is that it is only 3 ingredients.
This is the perfect appetizer that is so easy to make and looks and tastes rather posh!
- ½ head cabbage (+/- 500g)
- 250g Wakame seaweed
- 400g cold smoked salmon (I work on 80-100g p/person)
- Seaweed salt (optional)
- Get your coals to a medium heat.
- Drizzle the cabbage with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Wrap tightly with foil and place in the coals for 20 minutes or until tender. Do not worry about the charring, this enhances the taste of the dish.
- Whilst that is cooking away, slice your cold smoked salmon into thin strips, set aside.
- Once your cabbage is done, unwrap carefully for the steam to escape and cool until it´s easy to handle.
- Slice the cabbage in thin strips similar to that of the seaweed and place in a bowl.
- Add the seaweed and mix well. Season if necessary.
- Using a 7cm ring-mould, press the cabbage and seaweed mix into the mold and arrange the smoked salmon on top.
- Add a sprinkle of seaweed salt to finish of your appetizer.