Musakhan is an Arab dish originating from Palestine.
This dish contains chicken with sliced onions, sumac, all spice, sometimes saffron and toasted pine nuts. All these ingredients are served over taboon bread which is a very famous old Palestinian bread that is cooked in a Taboon oven.
Well, I do not have a Taboon oven and in my recipe I have used the basic principles of a Musakhan and put my own spin on it for a quick tasty meal served with yogurt.
- 350g x chicken breast or thighs (cut into bite size pieces) or you can use leftover chicken as well.
- 2 Tbsp x olive oil
- 2 x white onion, sliced
- ¼ tsp x salt
- ½ tsp x seven spices (See notes for recipe)
- 1 x tsp x cumin powder
- 2 tsp x sumac
- 2 Tbsp x Toasted pine nuts
- 1 Tbsp x flat leave parsley, chopped
- 4 Tbsp x mayonnaise
- 4 x tortillas or flatbread
- Heat a pan on medium high heat, add the olive oil and sauté the onions until they begin to soften.
- Add the salt and spices.
- Add chicken and cook until done. (About 15 minutes)
- Add the pine nuts and parsley.
- Spread 1 Tbsp of mayonnaise on each tortilla.
- Place the chicken filling in the centre of the tortilla and fold the edges in to make a square parcel.
- Use the same pan and wipe it clean or you can use a grill pan to get those toast lines on your tortilla.
- Add a drop of olive oil and heat to medium high. (Do not use too high heat!)
- Place the fold side down first on the grill pan and slightly push down with a spatula. Grill until it is lightly golden.
- Turn over and repeat on the other side.
• Seven Spice Recipe - 1 Tbsp x All Spice, 1 tsp x Cumin powder, 1 tsp x cinnamon powder, 1 tsp x black pepper powder, 1 tsp x coriander powder, 1 tsp x turmeric powder and 1 tsp ginger powder. Mix all the spices together and store in an airtight container.