A couple years back I was asked to do a few test kitchen recipes for Clausthaler and for this recipe I used their Classic non-alcoholic beer. We are not allowed to advertise alcohol in Norway, but between you, me and cyberspace, you can use any light lager. The alcohol evaporates but it tenderises the chicken beautifully!
And lets be honest, who doesn’t like a good serving of nachos!? This pulled chicken nachos is a huge serving that can easily be adjusted for a crowd.
Adjust the spiceness to you own liking but I personally like to have a bit of heat when something is meant to be spicy.
- You'll need for the chicken
- • 2 tbsp olive oil
- • 4 skinless chicken thigh fillets (about 150gm each)
- • 1 onion, finely chopped
- • 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- • 1 tsp each ground cumin, ground coriander and smoked paprika
- • 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- • 400g canned chopped tomato
- • 200ml chicken stock
- • 200ml light beer
- • 1 tsp chipotle powder (or to taste)
- • 1 tsp dried oregano
- • 1 Tbsp sugar
- • 200g (1 cup) canned black beans, drained
- • 250g corn chips or tortilla chips
- • 200g cheddar, coarsely grated
- • 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- • ¼ cup (loosely packed) coriander, coarsely chopped
- You'll need for the tomato salsa
- • 3 vine-ripened tomatoes, finely chopped
- • 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- • 1 cup (loosely packed) coriander, coarsely chopped
- • Juice of 1 lime
- • 1 red or green chili, finely chopped, or to taste
- • 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- You'll need for the avocado cream
- • 2 ripe avocados
- • Juice of 1 lime
- • 2 tsp extra-virgin olive
- • salt and pepper for seasoning
- For the chicken. Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Heat oil in a large casserole or saucepan over medium-high heat, add chicken and fry until golden brown on both sides. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In the same saucepan, add the onion and garlic and sauté until tender and translucent (4-5 minutes), add spices and season to taste.
- Deglaze pan with Clausthaler Classic non-alcoholic beer.
- Add the vinegar, tomato, chicken stock, chipotle, oregano, sugar and finally the chicken. Bring to a simmer.
- Put the lid on and then cook in oven until tender (45 minutes to 1 hour).
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool slightly
- Immediately increase your oven to 180°C for the final part of the dish.
- Shred chicken, stir in beans and season to taste.
- For the salsa tomato salsa, combine ingredients in a bowl, season to taste and set aside for flavours to develop (10-15 minutes).
- For the avocado cream, process ingredients in a small food processor until smooth, season to taste, cover and refrigerate until required.
- To serve, scatter nacho chips on a large baking tray, top with chicken and bean mixture, scatter with cheddar and then bake until golden and bubbling (about 10 minutes).
- Serve topped with sliced radish, salsa, avocado and fresh coriander.