This is a simple cake but it is made that extra little special with the addition of the rosemary-infused syrup.
Perfect with a cup of tea, a dollop of cream or a scoop of vanilla ice-cream when it is still warm.
Adapted from the recipe by the Bake Club.
- • For the cake
- 180ml x neutral tasting extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to grease
- 3 x eggs, at room temperature
- 2 x lemon rinds finely grated
- 150g x caster sugar
- 125g x almond meal
- 75g x self-raising flour, plus extra to dust (See notes to make your own)
- 40g x flaked almonds
- Fresh or dried rosemary flowers (optional), to decorate
- • For the Lemon & Rosemary Syrup
- 60ml x strained fresh lemon juice
- 60ml x water
- 110g x caster sugar
- 4 x 10cm sprigs fresh rosemary
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
- Brush a 20cm spring form tin with olive oil and line the base with non-stick baking paper.
- Combine the flour, sugar and almond meal in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the olive oil, eggs and lemon rind until well combined.
- Add to the almond meal mixture and use a balloon whisk or spatular to stir until just evenly combined.
- Pour into the prepared tin and spread with the back of a spoon.
- Sprinkle evenly with the flaked almonds and bake in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Stand the cake in the tin before transferring to a wire rack sitting over a tray.
- Whilst the cake is baking, make the Lemon & Rosemary Syrup.
- Combine the lemon juice, water and sugar in a small saucepan and stir over medium heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the rosemary sprigs, bring to a simmer and simmer for 5 minutes or until reduced by about half.
- Slowly pour the hot syrup over the warm cake, allowing it to soak in as much as possible. Cool to room temperature (this will take about 1 hour).
- Decorate with the rosemary flowers if using and serve in slices.
- This cake will keep in an airtight container at room temperature in a cool spot for up to 3 days.
Tip : To make 1 cup of self-raising flour, sift together 1 cup all purpose flour, ½ tsp salt and 1 ½ tsp baking powder.