I call this my “Loaded Tuna salad” because I load just about everything from my veggie draw in it. I use the tinned tuna in oil and not the one in water which I find lack in flavour and a bit on the dry side….. I also prefer to use dolphin friendly tuna, because it is the right thing to do.
Hands down this is my favourite salad and there really are no rules, although there are a few ingredients which I think makes this salad special – boiled egg, gherkins and feta. This is a rather large salad and definitely a meal on its own!
So, experiment away with this salad or feel free to follow my old trusty method and ingredients.
- 1 x tin tuna in oil
- 1 x boiled egg, sliced
- 2 x gherkins (the sweet and tangy type), chopped
- 2 x handful salad leaves (although I sometimes throw in a whole bag of the washed and ready to use leaves)
- ¼ x small red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ x avocado, cubed or sliced
- ¼ x cucumber, sliced
- 8 x cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 x celery stick, thinly sliced
- 1 x handful salad micro herbs (broccoli, alfa, etc)
- ¼ cup x feta cheese
- ¼ cup x sweetcorn (tin variety is fine)
- 2 x radishes, thinly sliced
- Salad dressing (your own or shop bought is fine)
- Salt and pepper
- If you don't have a boiled egg in the fridge, now is the time to boil as many as you need for 9 minutes and cool it off in cold water.
- Start by chopping all your veggies and draining the oil from the tuna.
- Next, I throw my mixed salad leaves, celery, cucumber and micro herbs in the serving bowl and give it a good mix.
- Now the layering starts and I usually don't put anything in the middle, that is for the tuna.
- I start with the cherry tomatoes, followed by the avocado, red onion slices, gherkins, sweetcorn and feta cheese.
- Then I place my tuna in the centre of the dish and add the sliced egg around the dish.
- Drizzle over your salad dressing, followed by mayonnaise and then season everything with salt and pepper.
- If you have a few edible flowers handy, garnish your salad with that as well.
- Now dig in!!!