No Greek meal is complete without a greek salad. Contrary to what people might be served in popular restaurants, a traditional salad does not have any lettuce in it. My recipe has 5 main ingredients in it. Sometimes, the Greeks will add slices of green pepper as well, that is entirely up to you.
- • For the salad
- 150g x feta, cut into cubes or as one large block on top of the salad
- 2 x medium sized tomatoes, sliced into wedges
- ½ x cucumber, peeled and thickly sliced
- ½ cup x Kalamata olives or black olives
- ½ x small red onion, thinly sliced
- Pinch of dried oregano
- • For the dressing
- ¼ cup x white wine vinegar
- ½ cup x extra virgin olive oil
- 1 x clove garlic, grated
- 1 tsp x sugar
- 1 tsp x dried or fresh oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all the salad ingredients on your plate.
- In many Greek restaurants you will find that they serve the feta as one big block lying on top of the salad. They will usually drizzle a little olive oil and oregano over. Cutting it into smaller blocks is okay.
- To make the salad dressing, place all the ingredients in a small jar and shake well. Drizzle over salad and store leftover dressing in fridge.