I think I have mentioned before that one of my best friends back in South Africa used to teach me all things Greek food. Sadly she past away many years ago, but I have vivid memories of her serving this Garlic infused beetroot salad on a weekly basis. I love this salad with rich dishes, it really does cut through the fattiness of any dish whether it is a moussaka or a BBQ.
I love garlic, so it is a no-brainer that this very easy dish appears on my table time and time again!
- 1kg x fresh beetroot
- 2 x large cloves garlic (or to taste)
- 2 Tbsp x aged balsamic vinegar (or to taste)
- 2 Tbsp x olive oil
- Wash the beetroot well and add to a large pan of water, just covering the tops of the beetroot.
- Bring to a boiling point, put the lid on and bring the heat down to medium.
- Check after 30 minutes. If a knife pushes into the beetroot without much resistance, it is ready.
- Drain into a colander, rinse with cold water and let it cool slightly.
- Get yourself some disposable gloves and whilst the beetroot is still warm, slide off the skin.
- Slice into wedges and place in a bowl.
- Chop or slice thinly your garlic cloves and add to the beetroot.
- Add 2 Tbsp olive oil and 2 Tbsp aged balsamic vinegar. Taste, you might find that you need a little more balsamic.
- Cover, and let it stand at room temperature until you are ready to serve.
Tips : Be careful with the amount of garlic you put into this salad. As it stands, it will absorb all those garlic flavours and get much stronger!