Sosaties is nothing more than meat on a stick or kebabs. You can use beef, lamb or chicken but today I am sharing my curried chicken sosaties with you, a real South African treat!
Anything that can be made in advance I see a bonus, it gives me time to actually relax on the day, have a drink and spend time with friends and family.
This recipe is adapted from www.melissamayo.com
- You'll need for the chicken marinate
- 4 Boneless chicken breasts cut into +/- 3cm cubes
- 2 Tbs Brown sugar
- 1½ Tbs Curry powder (I use hot curry powder, but medium will also work)
- 1 Tbs Cumin seeds, toasted and crushed
- 1 Tbs Coriander seeds, toasted and crushed
- 1 Tbs Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Sea salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- For the apricot, green pepper and onion marinade
- Large red onions, cut into cubes similar size of apricots
- 400g Dried apricots
- 2 Green peppers, cut into cubes similar to the apricots
- 250ml Red wine
- 125ml Red wine Vinegar
- 1 Tbs Brown sugar
- 125ml Olive oil
- 2 Tbs Apricot jam or fruit chutney
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Metal or bamboo skewers
- Cube the chicken and place in a bowl. Toast the cumin and coriander seeds together and crush. Mix together the brown sugar; curry powder, cinnamon, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper. Mix in with the chicken, cover and marinate overnight.
- Place the apricots, cubed onions and green peppers also in a bowl. Add the red wine, red wine vinegar and olive oil. Mix together, cover and marinate overnight.
- If you are using bamboo skewers, soak them in water beforehand to prevent them from catching fire.
- Start threading the chicken, onion, green pepper and apricots onto the skewer. About 4 repeats of this pattern should be enough per skewer.
- Heat the leftover marinade in a saucepan. Add the remaining sugar and apricot jam, stir until it thickens. Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Grill the sosaties on a medium-low heat over the coals, turning every 5 minutes until golden brown and cooked through. This should take about 20 minutes. Be careful not to overcook the sosaties, the chicken will become dry!
- Remove from heat and brush over the marinate.