At a previous farmers market, I was given a jar of Norwegian honey by Frank Hoover from Honninghagen in Bergen to try. He has a special relationship with his bees and practices 100% organic farming and takes whatever his bees are prepared to give him. This batch was predominantly from raspberry blossom pollination.
I am a pretty simple girl, a special treat for me is a slice of toast with honey and a cuppa tea after a long days work but then I had this private event coming up and thought it a great opportunity to try and use Frank’s honey. It really is rather fitting that the choice of welcome cocktail would be The Bee´s Knees Sour. For garnish I used bee pollen from Evasmat which you can purchase here and the organic eggs from Lygre Livsgard. The only product that is not local would be the lemon and its a pretty good feeling knowing that we all can do our bit to support small local businesses in these difficult Corona times.
Well needless to say, its delicious! If you are not comfortable using egg white, just omit it from the recipe.
- 60ml x gin (I used Norwegian, Bareksten)
- 60ml x runny honey
- 1 egg white
- 30ml fresh lemon juice
- Bee pollen for garnish (optional)
- Place all the ingredients except the bee pollen in a cocktail shaker.
- Shake vigorously for about 30 seconds or until the egg white is frothy.
- Add ice to the shaker and shake until very cold on the outside.
- Use a cocktail strainer to pour the liquid into 2 chilled coupe glasses and then swirl the egg white on top to form a foam head.
- Garnish with bee pollen.