Another cocktail mix I developed for a local restaurant.
There are few people who do not like a mojito on a hot day but adding ginger just takes it up a notch! I sometimes replace the Club Soda with proper ginger beer for an extra kick.
- 60ml x white rum
- 30ml x Mint and Ginger simple syrup (See recipe under method)
- 30ml lime juice
- Fresh mint
- Club soda water
- Dash of Angustora Bitters
- Crushed ice
- Add the mint & ginger syrup, rum, lime juice and a dash of bitters to a cocktail shaker.
- Add ice and shake until cold.
- Add crushed ice and a used lime shell to a highball glass.
- Pour the mixture with a strainer over the ice.
- Top up with club soda.
- Add a sprig of mint and a straw and place the straw close to the mint so that you smell the aroma of the mint.
To make the mint and ginger syrup. The ratio is 1 cup fresh mint (or big handful), 1 cup water, 1 cup white sugar, 30g gingerroot (skin and all). First, do not use nice looking mint for this syrup , you will be throwing it away afterwards. Place 1 cup sugar, 1 cup water and 30g sliced ginger root in a pan and dissolve on medium temperature. Once the sugar has melted, bring to boil and remove from heat. Add the mint and put a lid on it. Let it stand for about 30 minutes to 1 hour. Pour through a sieve into your storing bottle.