In Scandinavia it is Aquavit time!!!! My favourite is Linie Aquavit, a true Norwegian brand and also the oldest Aquavit brand in the world!
Served traditionally with Christmas pinnekjøt in a small glass. I like my Aquavit ice cold, others prefer it at room temperature. It took me a few years to get used to the idea of drinking hard liquor with my food but now I find it hard to enjoy my pinnekjøt without a small glass.
But, there are many ways to enjoy Aquavit and my favourite has to be a Aquavit Sour. It is not difficult to make and it definitely goes down smoother than drinking it clean. With family gatherings around the corner, this is the perfect cocktail!
- 40ml x aquavit
- 40ml x lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 20ml x simple syrup (see below for recipe)
- 1 x egg white
- Angustora bitters (optional)
- Ice cubes (As large as possible to create maximum foam)
- • For the simple syrup
- 1 cup x water
- 1 cup x white sugar
- 1 x vanilla pod (split in half and seeds scraped)
- To make the simple syrup, in a medium saucepan combine sugar, water and vanilla pod with scraped seeds. Bring to a boil, stirring, until sugar has dissolved.
- Allow to cool and store in airtight bottle in fridge. (You can put the vanilla pod in the bottle as well)
- For the cocktail, add all the ingredients in a shaker except the ice cubes.
- Shake it as hard as you can for a couple of minutes to create foam.
- Add ice cubes and shake until the outside of your shaker is cold.
- Strain into your cocktail glasses and top with a few drops of Angustora bitters.
- Serve immediately.