I love halloumi cheese!! Put a plate in front of me with a little tzazkiki, fresh bread and a bottle of white wine and see me swooning! This recipe has been adjusted from Roasted tomato, chickpea and halloumi salad and will take you right back to sunny days on the Med.
There is a bit of multi-tasking involved in this recipe, but it does shorten time spend in the kitchen. Whilst the chickpeas, tomatoes and courgettes are roasting in the oven, you can make the onion dressing and fry the halloumi.
- ½ x medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp x red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp x olive oil
- 1 large courgette, halved lengthways, sliced about 5mm thick
- 400g x cherry tomatoes, halved
- 250g x halloumi cheese, sliced about 1cm thick
- ½ x lemon
- Olive oil to drizzle
- 1 x bag mixed baby leave salad
- edible flowers (optional)
- 1 x 400g can chickpeas
- 3 Tbsp x olive oil
- 1 tsp x Maldon salt
- ½ x tsp each of the following spices. Garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, cumin powder and smoked paprika
- Heat the oven to 220°C.
- Place the chickpeas in a strainer and rinse well with cold water. Place on kitchen paper and dry properly.
- Spread the chickpeas out on a lined baking tray; pour over the olive oil and salt. Using your hands, toss to make sure it is all covered.
- Place the tomatoes (cut side up) and sliced courgettes also onto a second lined baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the chickpeas, cherry tomatoes and sliced courgettes trays in your oven and roast for between 20-30 minutes.
- Whilst that is cooking away, place the onion, vinegar and 2 Tbsp olive oil in a large bowl and allow to infuse.
- Warm your skillet or frying pan on medium heat with a good drizzle of olive oil. Fry the halloumi until golden on each side, drain on kitchen towel paper and squeeze fresh lemon over whilst it is still warm.
- Depending on your oven, you need to keep an eye on the chickpeas, tomatoes and courgettes from about 20 minutes onwards.
- The chickpeas should be golden, dry and crispy on the outside, remove from the oven and sprinkle spices on top and mix well.
- The vegetables should start to slightly blacken, remove from the oven and set aside.
- At this stage all the elements of the salad is ready to be put together.
- Place the chickpeas, baby leave salad, roasted tomatoes and courgettes in a bowl, pour over the onion mixture and toss gently.
- Place the fried halloumi on top with a few edible flowers.