It´s summer and BBQ Season!!!!!!
My top 3 salads for any BBQ is potato salad, a green salad and a pasta salad – do you agree?
We South Africans like to put curry powder in many of our dishes, so it should come as no surprise that we add it to a pasta salad as well. There’s a few things that is important to make this salad perfect. (1) It always tastes better the day after so be sure to make it in advance and keep it in the fridge. (2) Use a tangy mayonnaise! I apologies in advance but I find the Norwegian mayonnaise lack any tanginess. I prefer to use Hellmann´s mayonnaise if I am going to buy it but if you cannot find it, just add a little vinegar or lemon juice to increase the tang!
But, the beauty of this salad is that you can also add cooked chicken to make it a cold main course. Now you know what to do with any leftovers!
This recipe will serve at least 10 people, feel free to halve it for a smaller portion.
- 500g x noodle screws (Fusilli), shells (Farfalle) or tubes (Penne)
- 1 x green pepper, chopped
- 1 x red pepper, chopped
- 1 x red onion finely chopped
- 2 x celery sticks, chopped
- 1 x red apple, chopped with a squeeze of lemon juice over it to stop it from going brown
- Handful of fresh parsley, chopped (You can also use fresh coriander)
- 400g x tangy mayonaise (I use Hellmann´s but you can add a little vinegar or lemon juice to make your mayonnaise more tangy)
- 400g x full fat plain yogurt
- 1 x 820g peach halves (keep the syrup and chop the peached into bite size pieces)
- 1 x 198g tin corn (optional)
- ¼ cup x olive oil
- 3 Tbsp x madras curry powder, heaped or to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil the pasta with salt as per instructions on the packet until al dente. When done, strain and rinse under cold water, set aside.
- Whilst that is boiling away, chop up all the vegetables and herbs.
- Mix the olive oil, yogurt, mayonnaise and madras curry powder together.
- Now, instead of using sugar, I add the peach syrup. Mix it all together and then season the dressing with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the pasta in your serving dish, add the vegetables and pour over the dressing, mix well.
- Place in the fridge and serve cold as a side dish with your BBQ.