French Onion Soup must be one of the most popular classical soups of all time!
Golden, savory onions simmered in delicious broth, flavored with just the right amount of tang with a good dry white wine … pure comfort in a bowl. No onions soup is complete without a slice of baguette smothered with toasted cheese, so good!
- 1kg x yellow onions, peeled, halved and sliced
- 3 Tbsp x olive oil
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 6 sprigs x thyme
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 tsp x soft brown sugar
- 2 x garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 3 Tbsp x all purpose flour
- 250ml x dry white wine
- 1.5l x beef stock
- 1 x bay leave
- 12 slices of baguette
- 250g of Gruyère, shredded or a combination of white cheddar and gruyére
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Add the sliced onions, olive oil and thyme sprigs to a large heavy duty roasting tray, season with salt and pepper and toss to combine.
- Cover with foil and place in the oven for 45 minutes, giving the onions a stir halfway through.
- After 45 minutes, remove the foil and the thyme springs. Stir in the butter, garlic and sprinkle over the sugar then roast uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Remove the tray from the oven and place over a medium heat on the hob. Sprinkle over the flour and stir into the onions so that it almost forms a paste and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with wine, stir well and allow to bubble for 3–4 minutes
- Spoon the onion and wine mixture into a large saucepan and add the beef stock and bay leave. Bring the soup to a gentle simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes until it has slightly thickened.
- Meanwhile, toast the baguette slices in the oven, turning them over halfway through until crisp but not too coloured.
- Preheat the grill to its highest setting.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper if required and stir well.
- Ladle the soup into heatproof bowls and top each with two toasted baguette slices.
- Scatter over the grated cheese and sprinkle over a few thyme leaves.
- Place the bowls under the grill until the cheese is bubbling then serve immediately.
Tip : Homemade beef broth is the best but try to buy the best broth possible.