This sweet treat brings back so many childhood memories. If your mom or grandma didn’t make them, it is a given that you have tasted them at some school bazaar or farmers market. They are deliciously sweet and although I would like to say that one would sort out your sweet tooth, that would be far from the truth…once you start, there is just no stopping! Prepare yourself to make a few trays over this Christmas season.
- 250g Unsalted butter
- 500g Pitted dates, cut into small pieces
- 1 Egg
- ½ cup Castor sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 200g Marie biscuits, crushed into smaller pieces, but not fine
- 2 cups Desiccated coconut
- Pinch of salt
- Line a shallow tin of about 20x20cm with baking paper.
- Melt the butter over medium low heat.
- In the meantime, whisk the egg, vanilla, sugar and salt together with a balloon whisk until light and fluffy.
- Once the butter has melted, add the dates, stir for about 3 minutes and then add your egg mixture. Stir well and leave on the heat for about another 2 minutes to ensure that the egg is cooked through.
- Add the crushed biscuits and stir.
- Pour date mix into your tray and press down with the backside of a spoon.
- Place in the fridge for 3 hours until set.
- Remove, cut into squares and cover in coconut.
You can also play with the flavours by adding all or some of these ingredients: 30g of cocoa powder, ¼ tsp of cinnamon, 75g of Rice Crispies, 50g of chopped pecan nuts or glazed cherries.