I am always interested in new recipes that I can try out on my indoor BBQ. I have never tasted a cherry salsa, so this one definitely drew my attention. It is very light and refreshing and although I served this as a starter in the middle of winter with a glass of bubbly, I think this would go down a treat in the summer months as well.
Note that you do not have to grill the baguette on a BBQ; you can easily use your grill pan with the same results. This recipe was sourced from Charred bread with ricotta and cherry salsa.
- 3 spring onions cut at a diagonal, separate the green and white bits
- 5 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 300g fresh cherries, pitted and cut into slivers
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- ½ cup olive oil, plus extra to brush the baguette
- Baguette, sliced in half lengthwise
- 350g fresh whole-milk ricotta
- Flaky sea salt
- Toss the white parts of the spring onions and lemon juice in a bowl and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Add the greens of the spring onion, cherries and ½ cup olive oil and toss gently. Season with salt and pepper.
- Prepare your grill or grill pan to medium heat. Brush cut side of baguette with olive oil and toast until golden brown.
- Cool baguette for a minute then spread a generous amount of ricotta over both pieces. Sprinkle lightly with flaky salt and cut each length into 4-6 diagonal pieces.
- Arrange on a platter and with a slotted spoon, arrange cherry salsa on top.
The salsa can be made up to 6 hours ahead. Note that I did not use fresh cherries on this recipe as it is out of season. Instead I bought the frozen cherries from Eldorado in Norway, thawed it, drained the juices and used it the same as the recipe.