So, I planned an evening of all things Asian last night and as always, I like to start my dinner party with a cocktail and canapé.
Nothing could be easier than this Prawn-cocktail inspired canapé using wonton wrappers by Marion´s Kitchen. You can of course make a traditional Mary-Rose sauce if you do not like the spicy version. Most Asian shops will have the Korean gochujang chilli paste but Sriracha is a good substitute.
It’s Christmas season soon and I am already thinking of all the different canapés I can make with these little baskets. Maybe a slice of blue cheese with fig jam, or beef with horseradish sauce?? The options are endless with these bite-size little baskets!
- • For the wontons cups
- 1 packet x wonton wrappers. For this recipe you will need 20, the rest you can seal in a ziplock bag and place in the freezer.
- Vegetable oil for brushing
- • For the filling
- 200g x prawns cooked, peeled and diced ∼ or ∼ I like to use the cooked shrimps we get in Norway (reker)
- ½ cup x finely shredded iceberg lettuce
- ½ x avocado, finely diced
- 4 Tbsp x coriander, finely chopped
- • For the spicy Mary Rose sauce:
- ½ x cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp x tomato sauce (ketchup)
- 2 Tbsp x Korean gochujang chilli paste or Sriracha is a good substitute, or less depending on how spicy you like it
- 1 tsp x Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp x lime juice, fresh
- To make the wonton cups, preheat oven to 180°C.
- Lightly brush a 20-unit mini cupcake tray with oil.
- Cut the wonton wrappers into circles (make the circle as big as your wonton wrapper will allow).
- Press the wonton wrappers into the mini cupcake tray holes. Try to expel any air bubbles and fold the sides neatly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 5 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Store in an airtight container for up to 24 hours.
- To make the spicy mary rose sauce, place ingredients in a bowl and whisk until well combined. Transfer to a piping bag or to a resealable bag (snip the end off when you’re ready to pipe the sauce). Set aside in the fridge until ready to assemble.
- To assemble, place a small mound of lettuce into the bottom of each wonton cup. Drizzle with the spicy cocktail sauce.
- Add the prawns and drizzle again with the sauce. Top with avocado and coriander.