Aloo Gobi literally means Potato Cauliflower in english.
Not all Aloo Gobi´s are vegan but instead of dairy, I have used a blend of coconut milk and raw cashews creating a thick curry sauce for the potatoes and cauliflower. Sometimes I like to add sweet potato but then of course it is not an Aloo Gobi any longer. I have kept the spices for this recipe basic, an authentic Aloo Gobi has quite a variety of spices in it but that is not the purpose of this recipe. We want quick and easy!
I am not vegan, but I do try to eat clean during the week. This is a tasty vegan dish packed with flavour and the perfect portion for 2 people. I keep the leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days or stuff it in the freezer for another days meal.
- 1 x small head cauliflower, cut into bite-sized florets
- 1 x onion, diced
- 3 x cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp x fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 tsp x garam masala
- 2 tsp x curry powder
- ½ tsp x chili flakes
- 400g x can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp x salt
- 4 x medium potatoes, peeled and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 400ml x unsweetened coconut milk
- ½ cup x raw cashews
- Olive oil for frying
- Fresh coriander for garnish
- Black onion or mustard seeds for garnish (optional)
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium-high heat in a large skillet and add the onions. Saute for a few minutes until it just starts to brown.
- Add in the grated ginger, garlic, garam masala, curry powder, chili powder, and mix well for a minute.
- Add in the tomatoes and salt, mix together, and let it simmer on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add in the potatoes and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place the cashews and coconut milk in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Add in the cauliflower, cover with the lid and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in the blended coconut milk and cashew into the pan. Give the curry a good stir and cook for 25 more minutes.
- Taste and adjust the spices if needed and transfer to your serving bowl.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and a sprinkle of black mustard or onion seeds.
- Serve with basmati rice or naan bread.
If you want to add 1 x sweet potato, substitute it for 2 potatoes and add it at the same time as indicated in the recipe.