This rather unusual cocktail came about because a client wanted something different for their year-end function as a welcome drink. Being on a tight budget, I couldn’t use my go-to cocktails where you had a mix of various spirits and liquors, it would have blown the budget completely! So the search started and I eventually stumbled onto this little spirit lifter from honey sage gin soaked honey rim
From a culinary point it made total sense! The bitterness from the gin, the subtle flavour from the sage, sweetness from the honey and the saltiness from the bacon. I have however tweaked the recipe to get the flavors just the way I like it. Other than the honey/sage syrup, you can play away as well!
- For the syrup
- ½ cup Honey
- ½ cup water
- 8 fresh sage leaves
- For the honey bacon rim
- 1 slice bacon, crispy, cooled and broken into fine crumbs
- a pinch of fine smoked salt
- For the Gin fizz
- 90ml gin
- 30ml honey/sage syrup
- 15ml fresh lime juice
- 150ml Club soda
- additional sage leaves for garnish
- For the honey/sage syrup. Add all the ingredients in a saucepan, stirring continuously until you reach boiling point. Turn the heat down and simmer until the honey has dissolved. Remove from heat and cool completely. Place in a jar in the fridge until used. (Remember to remove the sage leaves at this stage!)
- On a plate, mix your fine bacon bits and smoked salt well. I used a small handcraft paintbrush and paint 1/3 of the rim with honey. No more than this or the bacon and smoked salt will overpower the drink! Run the honey rim through the bacon mix.
- Now to mix the cocktail. Place the gin, honey/sage syrup and lime into a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake it up and pour into 3 prepared glasses. Top up with a dash of soda water and a few sage leaves.
Taste! If you want a bit more sweetness, add more honey/sage syrup. A bit more kick, add more gin; too much gin, add more soda. I recommend you make the bacon/salt crumb and honey/sage syrup well in advance, giving you plenty of time to show off your mixology skills at your party. I also placed my glasses in the fridge after I have rimmed them with the bacon and salt mix. Cheers!!